This project is located three miles west of the town of Alma, CO on Park County Road 8 (Buckskin Road). The Mill property adjoins Pike National Forest and is situated at the foot of Mount Bross to the north and Loveland Mountain to the south. Buckskin Creek lies to the south of the Mill, which is connected to Park County Road 8 by a gravel drive.
The Paris Mill is located on the eastern slope of the Mosquito Range in Park County, Colorado. Construction of the Mill was completed in 1895 to service the Paris Mine high above Buckskin Gulch on Mount Bross. The complex ore and high altitude location of the mine, which was first discovered in 1878, hampered the profitability of the mine and so its investors constructed the Mill and tramway in order to reduce transportation and smelting costs. The Mill's period of significance begins with its construction in 1895 and continues to 1937 when major mill operations ceased. The Mill has primarily sat idle since the 1937 closure with its most recent occupation being a brief drilling operation in 1977. It was nominated to the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion A for Industry as well as Criterion C for Engineering and Architecture. The Mill is nearly complete, including its machinery, engineered systems, structural elements, and architectural aspects and is one of few intact mills remaining from this era in Colorado.
Preservation efforts at the Paris Mill have been occurring for over a decade, beginning with its naming as one of Colorado's Most Endangered Places in 2004. Since that time, Park County has designated the Mill as a Park County Historic Landmark, purchased the Mill, performed over $300,000 in voluntary site cleanup, and funded the preparation of a Historic Structure Assessment. More recently, the County has performed roof repairs, hosted annual Community Work Days, and completed a National Register nomination. Public comment on the future use of the Paris Mill was solicited as part of the nomination process and the overwhelming response was that the Mill should be preserved and opened for public tours. In the summer of 2015, the first phase of construction started at the Mill, resulting in the stabilization of the Mill’s west wing. Phase II construction focusing on stabilizing the Mill’s south wing extension is expected to commence summer 2016. Phase III is defined by the creation of planning, design, and construction documents for phases IV and V construction at the Mill. This project is subject to SHF funding.