Park County, CO – The High Park Fire is burning around 400 acres in Teller County near the Park County border with zero percent containment, according to the Teller County Sheriff Office. Evacuations in the area of Teller County RD 11 and County Rd 1 were ordered yesterday and pre-evacuation notices were issued for Park County residents of Bear Trap Community Park. Note to impacted residents, if an evacuation is required please take Sioux Road to CR 112 to leave the area safely.
The High Park Fire started early evening on Thursday and crews continue to work today, including the Guffey and Lake George Fire Protection District firefighters from Park County. Sheriff McGraw continues to monitor the situation. For ongoing updates, please visit: https://www.facebook.com/tellersheriff and follow us on Facebook.
Park County is now in a Stage 2 Burn Ban effective immediately, per Sheriff McGraw. A Red Flag Warning has in effect today until 8 PM tonight, per the National Weather Service. During a Stage 2 Burn Ban according to Ordinance 2021-04, the following acts are PROHIBITED on ALL PUBLIC AND PRIVATE PROPERTY:
- Building, maintaining, attending or using open burning or an open fire as defined in Section 5.f. of this ordinance.
- Building, maintaining, attending or using any of the following fires:
- Fires in wood and/or charcoal fired grills or smokers designed for cooking;
- Fires in approved portable exterior fireplaces;
- Fires in approved stationary exterior fireplaces.
- Target and recreational shooting, except at County-approved shooting ranges.
- Blasting, or other activities, which generate flame or flammable material.
- Outdoor hot work without a pressurized water system or at least a 71b ABC or 2.5 gallon pressurized or equivalent fire extinguisher, and large size pointed shovel readily available for quick use.
- Fireworks and model rocketry.
- Smoking except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.
- Operating a chain saw without a pressurized water system or at least a 71b ABC or 2.5 gallon pressurized or equivalent fire extinguisher, and large size pointed shovel readily available for quick use.
Please use extreme caution as fires will start easily and spread rapidly today throughout the county and region.