Who is Eligible for a Third Dose of the COVID19 Vaccine?
Park County, Colo. – Park County Public Health (PCPH) understands many people have questions about the third dose for the COVID19 vaccine administration. Currently the only people eligible for a third dose vaccination are the severely immunocompromised individuals. This recommendation only includes people who have:
- Been receiving active cancer treatment for tumors or cancers of the blood.
- Received an organ transplant and are taking medicine to suppress the immune system.
- Received a stem cell transplant within the last two years or are taking medicine to suppress the immune system.
- Moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency (such as DiGeorge syndrome, Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome).
- Advanced or untreated HIV infection.
- Active treatment with high-dose corticosteroids or other drugs that may suppress your immune response.
“The latest guidelines focus on people who are severely immunocompromised to ensure they receive a third dose of the vaccine to improve its effectiveness. The timing of the third dose is different (and sooner) than what will be “boosters” for the wider public in the future. We all need to be patient and wait for the science and data to determine who is eligible and when,” said Dr. Katherine Fitting, Medical Advisor for Park County.
PCPH expects the CDC and FDA to issue more information in the coming weeks for the Moderna, Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson vaccines. Please stay tuned for more information, even as soon as next week.
Visit https://parkco.us/810/Vaccine-Resources for all the latest information about Park County’s COVID19 response. If you have any questions about the COVID19 vaccine, please feel free to call the Park County Public Health COVID19 Vaccine and Testing Coordinator at 719-836-4162 or email email@example.com.