Park County Sheriff’s Office
PO Box 604
Fairplay, CO 80440
Sheriff Tom McGraw
Effective August 12, 2020
County-Wide Burn Ban In Effect For Park County
The following acts are PROHIBITED on ALL PUBLIC AND PRIVATE PROPERTY until further notice:
- Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire or campfire, including charcoal.
- Smoking except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials.
- Operating motorized vehicles off designated roads or trails.
- Blasting, welding or other activities, which generate flame or flammable material.
- Fireworks and model rocketry.
- Target shooting and recreational shooting is prohibited, including the Forestry areas. The only exception to this will be the Como shooting range. Posted Range Rules Must Be Followed.
- Operating a chain saw without a 10lb ABC or 2 ½ gallon pressurized or equivalent fire extinguisher, and large size pointed shovel readily available for quick use.
- Persons with a written exemption from their District Fire Chief that specifically authorizes the otherwise prohibited act.
- Persons using a fire solely fueled by liquid petroleum or LPG fuels.
- Any Federal, State or local officer or member of an organized rescue or firefighting force in the performance of an official duty.
- Approved fully contained outdoor wood burning furnace/boiler.
- For commercial operations authorized under contract or permit, internal and external combustion engines may be operated as approved by the Forest Service within designated areas.
- Licensed hunters that are actively pursuing game.
Please abide by the County Ordinance 19-01. Citations for violations will start at $500 and increase to $1000.
Park County Fire Districts
Updated information is also available by calling the Park County Fire Line 719-836-4160.
Thank you for your cooperation.
Sheriff Tom McGraw