Jefferson Area Historic Sites
38037 Highway 285
Park County Historic Landmark - designated 12/4/2008
First established in 1874 by Joseph Crockett, the ranch was signficantly expanded by later owners Eli Portis and the South Park Cattle Company. The ranch's log barns, main house, and outbuildings demonstrate how historic structures can support an active contemporary ranching operation.
JEFFERSON DENVER, SOUTH PARK & PACIFIC RAILROAD DEPOT
38539 Highway 285
National Register - designated 12/31/1998
This circa 1880 building is a well preserved example of a wood frame combination depot serving both passengers and freight. It remained in active use until 1937 and is one of only a few intact historic structures surviving from the Denver South Park & Pacific Railroad's narrow gauge rail network that extended from Denver into Colorado's rich mining and ranching regions during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
100 Main Street
Park County Historic Landmark - designated 9/18/2003
The Jefferson School, now the Jefferson Community Church, has been a center of community activity since it was built by Jesse Carruthers and William Craig in 1901 for the children of Jefferson. In the belfry, the original bell, bought by students and townspeople, still rings for worship services and call to meetings.
KENOSHA PASS RAILROAD STATION
Highway 285 at Kenosha Pass
State Register - designated 3/12/1997
The former site of the Denver, South Park & Pacific Rail Station presents some of the finest views of the expansive South Park far below. Interpretive signs tell the story of buffalo, Native Americans, trappers and settlers who have crossed the pass toward opportunity.
WAHL COLEMAN/FLYING HORSE RANCH
Highway 285 & Lost Park Road
National Register - 10/12/2000
The original headquarters of this expansive ranch at the bottom of Kenosha Pass has remained largely unchanged since the early 1900s. First established by Englishman Thomas Hyatt in 1883, subsequent owners William H. Lilley, Birchard H. Portis and Albert Wahl expanded the ranch into one of the South Park's largest cattle operations. The Wahl Ranch retains its water rights and remains a working cattle ranch.
35742 Highway 285
Park County Historic Landmark - 6/20/2013
From the original 160 acres homesteaded by Albert Whitten in 1883, the Whitten Ranch grew to great prosperity under the capable leadership of Clara Whitten, who divorced Albert in 1895 and took over as sole owner of the ranch. The original 160 acre Whitten homestead and its associated buildings have remained intact, serving as a highly visible reminder of the history of cattle ranching in the South Park and the significant contribution that strong women like Clara Whitten have made to the history of Park County.