Child Protection Services

Please call the Colorado Child Abuse and Neglect Hotline at 1-844-CO-4-KIDS (1(844)264-5437) to report concerns about a child's safety and well-being. 

All calls are confidential and will be routed to the county where a child resides. If it is an emergency or you are witnessing a child in a life-threatening situation, call 911 immediately. 

Reporting Child Abuse/Neglect Concerns

Park County Department of Human Services assesses children and families where there have been allegations of physical child abuse, sexual child abuse, and child neglect. Our main focus is to identify and address the safety issues that brought the family to our attention. We work with partners and resources in collaboration with other agencies to achieve our mission of safety, permanency and family empowerment in the community and in families. Families involved in our program will receive direct services from a caseworker, combined with services from the community and/or other service providers. Other services may include substance abuse and mental health treatment for parents and children, home-based services, and sexual abuse treatment.

When you contact us, please provide as much of the following information as possible in regard to the child(ren) you are concerned about. The information is important to ensure the safety and welfare of the individuals involved.

  • Child's full name
  • Date of birth and age
  • Ethnicity or race
  • Parent's full names
  • Family's valid home address
  • Family's phone number
  • Specific concerns of abuse/neglect

For emergencies after hours, call 911 or (719) 836-4121 ext 5 for Park County Communications.

To request a copy of a child abuse record


To request copies of records the client or their parent, legal custodian or guardian must complete the records form, which is then retained in the file of the record requested. All requests are processed as soon as possible but may take up to seven business days if the requested is in an inactive file, unusually long or needs to be reviewed by the Administration. Open referrals or assessments are not available until after closure. There may be an instance that the client will be referred to either the PCDHS (Park County Department Human Services) Attorney or other party.

The completed form and acknowledgment of confidentiality must be submitted to Park County Department of Human Services, Attn: Child Welfare Manager at P.O. Box 1193, Bailey, CO 80421 or by fax to 303-816-5942 or in person at 59865 N Highway 285, 2nd Floor, Bailey or in person at 825 Clark Street, Fairplay. Please also submit a copy of your driver's license, legal identification card to provide proof of identity. Requests will not be reviewed or processed until this is received.

Records may be picked up in person at our office or emailed to the requestor after the Acknowledgment of Confidentiality and a proper, clear photo ID is received by the records custodian.

Park County Department of Human Services does not have the legal responsibility or right to release records authored or produced by outside agencies or other jurisdictions. You must request those records directly from the source that produced them.

Records will be held in our office for 30 days after receipt of the form. After 30 days, the record will be destroyed. You will need to make a new request in order to retrieve the record.


The requestor may be responsible for paying $.25 per page after the first 5 pages to be copied, $10.00 per CD/DVD and $25.00 per hour research and retrieval fee after the 1st hour. This payment is due at time of delivery. In cases requiring significant copies and research time payment will be required prior to processing or reviewing your request.


The Department requires an Acknowledgement of Confidentiality to be signed prior to releasing any record.

C.R.S 19-1-307 (4)Any person who improperly releases or who willfully permits or encourages the release of data or information contained in the records and reports of child abuse or neglect to persons not permitted access to such information by this section or by section 19-1-303 commits a class 1 misdemeanor and shall be punished as provided in section 18-1.3-501. Please ensure that should you release records, it is in accordance with legal confidentiality guidelines and privilege requirements.

Alcohol and/or drug treatment records are protected under the federal regulations governing Confidentiality of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Patient Records, 42 C.F.R Part 2 And the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 ("HIPAA"), 45 C.F.R Parts 160 & 164 and cannot be disclosed without my written consent unless otherwise provided for in the regulations.

Additional Child Protection Services