Military and Overseas Voters

Federal Law
  • The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) ensures all military and overseas electors are able to register and vote.
  • You must be a resident of Colorado, 18 years old at the time of election, and a U.S. citizen. “Residence” means the elector’s last legal U.S. residence was in Colorado.
Who is Covered
Overseas Elector
  • A resident of Colorado who is living outside the U.S. temporarily or permanently
  • A resident who was last eligible to vote in Colorado immediately before leaving the U.S.
  • This includes U.S. citizens who have never resided in the U.S.
Military Elector (A Resident of Colorado Who is)
  • A member of any active or reserve branch of the military on active duty and away from the U.S.
  • A member of the Merchant Marine, Commissioned Corps of the Public Health Services, or National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration who is absent due to service.
  • Colorado National Guard, who is a resident of Colorado, but absent due to active duty
  • A spouse, civil union partner, or dependent of one of the described above, who is absent due to active duty or service
Never Resided in the U.S.
  • If the applicant never resided in the U.S., he or she may register to vote in Colorado if the applicant’s parents or legal guardian was a legal resident of Colorado before leaving the U.S. . To register use their parent’s last Colorado residence address.
Register or Update Information
  • GoVoteColorado - to register, request a ballot, update registration information, choose how to receive your ballot, and check the status of your ballot.
  • Federal Voting Assistance - to submit a Federal Post Card Application.