To operate a Retail or Medical Marijuana Establishment in Park County the applicant must obtain licenses from both the local licensing authority and the State of Colorado's Marijuana Enforcement Division. State approval is not required to apply for a local license. Park County Government is the local licensing authority for unincorporated Park County.
It is highly recommended that prospective applicants contact the Planning and Zoning department to confirm the zoning of the property before beginning the application process.
Guidelines for the Application Process
- Applications will be accepted Monday through Thursday 7:00 am – 5:00 pm unless the County Offices are closed for a holiday. We recommend that applicants set up an appointment to submit an application. Staff will answer questions about the local licensing process but cannot provide legal or business advice.
- The County application and supporting documentation should be submitted all together at one time rather than piecemeal.
- Complete marijuana applications and required supporting documentation will be reviewed and processed in the order they are received.
- The applicant will be notified of the issues and concerns found during the review process and have an opportunity to resolve those issues.
Applications for a Retail/Medical Marijuana License
- Prior to completing the license application contact the Planning and Zoning Department to confirm zoning, setbacks, and other land use restrictions.
- Turn in completed application and applicable fees to the Planning Department. This office is located at 1246 County Road 16 Fairplay, Colorado (the second floor of the large red building located near the County Jail).
- After an initial review, the applicant will have a chance to rectify any needed changes to the application materials.
- Once the application is deemed complete by the Planning Department referrals are sent to applicable agencies who have a two week window to respond. Adjacent property owners are also notified of the application at this time.
- The County Commissioners will then determine the neighborhood vicinity, which will be referenced by either a county approved canvasser or county staff who will canvass the neighborhood to determine the needs and desires of adult inhabitants.
- Notice of a licensing hearing will be posted in the Flume and at the subject property for a minimum of 14 days.
- The County Commissioners shall review and approve or deny the license application at a public hearing.
- If improvements to the subject property are required, licensees shall not be permitted to operate or receive the physical license until a Certificate of Occupancy is granted by the Park County Building Department.
- Once the State and Park County Licenses are issued, the licensee may begin operation.
- Retail Marijuana License Application (PDF)
- Medical Marijuana License Application (PDF)
- Medical Marijuana Caregiver Registration Form (PDF)
- Ordinance No. 15-02 (PDF) - Regulating caregiver growing of medical marijuana in residential structures
- Ordinance No. 16-01 (PDF) - Regulating the licensing and operations of retail marijuana establishments; as well as cultivation facilities
- Ordinance No. 16-03 (PDF) - Regulating the licensing and operations of medical marijuana establishments; as well as cultivation facilities