Tarryall Area

Tarryall Area


ALLEN CREEK RANCH


24001 CR 77
Park County Historic Landmark - designated 6/26/2008
Once the location of the Mountaindale Post Office, this ranch played an important role in the development of ranching in the Tarryall Valley. In 1870, the 7-member Anson Allen family left Wisconsin to join their Farnam in-laws in the Tarryall Valley. Come spring of 1871, the Allen house was built on adjacent land and the joint efforts of the extended family proved successful.

Tarryall Rural Historic District
County Road 77
National Register - designated 11/1/2017
The Tarryall Rural Historic District encompasses 27,861 acres along a nearly 40 mile stretch of County Road 77 from just south of Jefferson to west of Lake George. The district includes 309 contributing resources ranging from ranch buildings, mining cabins, cemeteries, archaeological sites, and more. The district is a significant area of high altitude ranching and hay raising and is important to the narrative it can tell about the history of agriculture, transportation, entertainment/recreation in the county, as well as for the architecture that illustrates the materials, design, and construction techniques that are representative of historic ranch complexes and other resources. The area is also important for the historical archaeology that speak to the settlement of the area.


TARRYALL SCHOOL & TEACHERAGE


31000 CR 77
National Register - designated 5/16/1985
Built in 1921 by members of the Tarryall community, the well-preserved, 1-room Tarryall School replaced an earlier 1890s school on the property. The small “teacherage” located behind the school was built in 1941 to provide a residence for the schoolteacher. Both buildings are furnished in the period and used for county and community events.

WILLIAMS RANCH


24999 CR 77
Park County Historic Landmark - designated 6/26/2008
In the 1880s, Albert W. Bradley sold this homestead to neighbor John E. Williams. Originally from Wales, Williams and his family established a very successful ranching operation along Tarryall Creek during the late 1800s. After 1901, son Edmund Williams ran operations at the former Bradley homestead and constructed the circa 1927 log cabin at the headquarters site.